Friday 10 January 2014

Candy Cake



Happy New Year! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Did you have enough desserts? Well get ready for more!

For my friend’s birthday, I wanted to make her a cake covered in candies. I’ve had this idea for a while because she loves candy! So why not cover a cake with the tons of the stuff she loves?? In my case, it would be a cake covered in bread. Mmm, b...r…e…a…d. The other day, someone asked me what my guilty pleasure was that I couldn’t say no to, and I realized it was bread. In fact, skip the cake, just give me a loaf of bread (it can be shaped like a cake).

Anyways, this year my friend was having a tea party to celebrate the big day. Last year she had a sleepover (remember this) and the year before I made a fruit topped cake. Yay tea party! How refined!

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Vanilla Cake
Feel free to use your favorite vanilla cake recipe. I used this one and baked it in 3 6-inch cake pans.

White Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
1 cup salted butter, softened
4 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup milk
¼ cup marshmallow fluff

Directions
Add all ingredients in a bowl of a stand mixer with a beater attachment and beat on a lower speed until somewhat combined. Increase speed and beat until light and fluffy.

Ready for candy.

Assembly
1.  Fill cakes with your choice of jam. I used black currant.
2.  Apply a crumb coat and place in freezer for 5 minutes.
3.  Apply another coat of frosting and smooth with a spatula dipped in hot water.
4.  Got to town with candies!!!




Verdict: Nailed it! This cake was so fun and easy to make and the candy options were endless! The birthday girl loved it – as I used her favorite candies. Here’s a picture of us that evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment