Friday 7 June 2013

Funfetti Art Birthday Butter Cookies


My good friend who lives in Toronto was approaching her birthday and I wanted to send over some cookies.  I made her these pretzel banana chip cookies last year, but wanted to send her a new spin on her favorite – the butter cookie!  What says celebration more than sprinkles and a cake?  I decided to add sprinkles in the batter and use a tiered cake cookie cutter for the shape.  These should ship well, plus the cookies taste better after a few days.  It’s fun sending her little packages.  I hope she’s surprised!

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Funfetti Art Birthday Butter Cookies
Small batch

Ingredients
½ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons sifted icing sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla syrup
½ an egg
1¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon sprinkles

Directions
1.    With a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
2.  Beat in vanilla syrup and eggs.
3.  Whisk flour and baking soda in a bowl.  Gradually add into butter mixture.
4.  Mix in sprinkles (10 seconds).
5.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
Dough chilled and ready to roll.

To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6.  Take a small portion of the dough and roll out to 1/8 inch thick and cut out using cookie cutters.  Only roll out small portions of the dough at a time as re-working the dough will make the colours of the sprinkles bleed and turn the dough grey.
8.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden.  Cool on rack.
Before baking.

After baking.




Verdict: I super liked how the sprinkles created streaks in the dough when I rolled it out!  It reminded me of ’80’s designs!  Kind of art-y.  These are my all-time favorite cookies, and they did not disappoint as usual.  Buttery with nice vanilla aroma. My friend was surprised by and enjoyed the package! Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment