Monday 25 March 2013

Seven Layers of Sin Bars




I’ve come across another awesome baking book: The Sugar Cube!  The recipes in this book are totally up my alley, with flavor combinations with big personalities – my favorite being the sweet and salty combination. I’m obsessed with combining sweet and salty, and not in a subtle “salted caramel” sort of way, but the in your face, “potato chip cupcakes” sort of way.  Surprisingly (and by surprisingly I mean, not so surprisingly) I decided to start with the Seven Layers of Sin Bars that included potato chips. I changed the recipe a bit by swapping the graham cracker crust with Ritz crackers!

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Seven Layers of Sin Bars

Ingredients
1 ½ cups shredded coconut
1 cup salted, roasted cashews
110g Ritz crackers
½ cup sugar
¼ cup milk powder
7 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups crushed ruffled potato chips
¼ cup toffee bits
1 can sweetened condense milk

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast shredded coconut by spreading on a cookie sheet and baking in oven for about 7 minutes (keep an eye on it!).  Set aside.
2.  Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
3.  Roughly chop cashews and set aside.
4.  Put Ritz crackers in a bag and crush with a rolling pin.  Add sugar and milk powder and mix in a bowl.  Add butter, mix, and press into the bottom of the baking pan.
5.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then cashews, then coconut, then potato chips, and then toffee bits.
6.  Drizzle with condensed milk.
7.  Bake for 15 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 10 minutes.  Cool before cutting.
Toasted coconut.

Ritz layer.

Chocolate layer.
Cashew layer.
Coconut layer.

Potato chip layer.


Toffee bits layer.

Topped with condensed milk.

After baking.




Verdict: These bars were awesome! I brought them to work and my colleagues loved them.  My friends loved them even more!  Even those who don’t like coconut really enjoyed them.  I obviously liked the salty-sweet combo.  This recipe is so easy to put together with a huge impact.


No comments:

Post a Comment