Sunday 23 October 2011

Lemon Vanilla Pound Cake


I had sour cream left over from a previous baking project that I wanted to use up.  How about a pound cake?  I found a potentially good recipe for a lemon pound cake that I wanted to tweak in healthy way.  So I replaced some of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour and halved the sugar and replaced it with sucanat (pure dried cane juice – unrefined sugar).  I wondered how it would turn out...

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!



Lemon Vanilla Pound Cake
Inspired from here.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup salted butter, room temperature
¾ cup sucanat
3 eggs, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon lemon zest
½ cup sour cream

Directions
1.       Line a (smaller) tube pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.       Sift flours, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
3.       In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy.
4.       Add sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
5.       Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
6.       Beat in vanilla, lemon juice, and zest.
7.       Using a spatula, mix in dry ingredients.
8.       Mix in sour cream.
9.       Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour (or until a cake tester comes out clean).
10.   Lift the cake out of pan by the parchment paper, and cool on rack.

Before baking.

After baking.

Cooling.



Verdict: This pound cake was delicious, if I do say so myself! It was flavourful and moist!  The sucanat gave a nice flavour, as did the lemon and vanilla.  And the great thing about the whole wheat pastry flour is that it didn’t give it a gritty texture! A nice afternoon snack that I’ll be making again.

No comments:

Post a Comment