Sunday 14 August 2011

Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies


I started a new job, and as nice treat, I thought I would bake my colleagues some cookies.  But what cookie should I bake?  You can’t go wrong with chocolate chip, but I wanted to go with something a bit different.  I came across this recipe for the Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip cookie which made a crisp cookie – quite the opposite of the chewy ones I usually make.  I decided to give it a try.

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from here.
Makes 21 cookies

Ingredients 
½ + 2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ + 1 Tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup quick rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon cream (or milk)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup dark chocolate chunks

Directions
1.       In a small bowl, whisk four and baking soda together.
2.       In a large bowl, whisk butter, oats, sugars, corn syrup, milk, salt, and vanilla.
3.       Mix in flour mixture.
4.       Stir in chocolate chunks.
5.       Rest dough at room temperature for a few hours (or overnight in the fridge).

To bake
6.      Preheat oven to 325 F.  Racks should be in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
7.      Lay aluminum foil onto the cookie racks.
8.      Drop by (1/2 Tablepoon-ish) spoonfuls onto foil with plenty of space between cookies.  Flatten using parchment paper and the bottom of a cup until 2.5 inches in diameter.
9.     You can bake 2 cookie sheets at a time, one on the top and one on the bottom rack. Bake for 5 minutes, then switch racks for 4 minutes or until cookies are thin and very brown. 
10.  Slide entire foil onto the racks to cool completely.

Before baking: Press down dough with parchment paper and a cup.

After baking.

Storage Tip: I keep them in an airtight container with a cupcake liner filled with baking soda to remove the moisture and keep the cookies crisp.



 

Verdict: These cookies were so different from the ones I normally make.  They reminded us of Skor bars as the sugar in the cookies caramelized and crisped up.  Needless to say, they were deliciously addictive.  My colleagues liked them too as they were eaten up well before the end of the day!  I think I may have even created a baking environment as someone brought in home made blueberry-chocolate chip scones the next day – which were amazing!  By far, the moistest scones I’ve ever eaten.



2 comments:

  1. i can't wait to try these! and thanks for the tip on how to keep cookies crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great! I'm thinking about making another batch!

    ReplyDelete